Sunday, May 3, 2009

Happy 2nd Birthday Little One!

2009 brought me...a teenager...and now a 2 year old....Much as I hate to admit it, I'm nervous. I feel nostalgic when birthdays come around. It's hard for me to imagine that two years ago today, my life was hanging on a balance. My first son was at school and my husband was changing duty stations when the doctors came in my room and said the most horrifying words I've ever heard. "We need to take the baby out, you're not gonna make it." I was afraid. All I could do was cry, a lot. Then I prayed, a lot. I was scared for Jordan if I didn't make it. I was scared for my husband because I didn't think I would make it in time. I was scared that I wouldn't have another chance to tell them how much I love them.

Against all odds, my husband made it in the operating room. Two hours and 45 minutes later, I became a Mommy all over again. I was glad that I made it. But my baby was very tiny. Very fragile. This time I cried for him. His prognosis was a bit grim. He only weighed 1 lb., 14 oz. - he fit comfortably in the palm of my hands. I've never seen a baby this tiny in my whole life.

We spent many many nights at the NICU.



We took him home from the hospital 3 months later - and there was absolutely nothing wrong with him. He was only 4 lbs when he came home but he didn't need any special treatment (oxygen, heart monitor, etc). His doctor said - "He just wanted to come out! He wanted to see the world."
And so the world, we will show him.
Every year he celebrates his birthday, I think of all the doctors and nurses who took very good care of him. And my family who supported me and who continued to pray for all of us while we were going through this. Thank you all.


Happy Birthday Little Man - we went through a lot you and I. You inspire all of us every day. We love you and may you have many many more birthdays to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers